The College of Europe, founded in 1949 a unique postgraduate
Beacon Scholarships for University students are offered every academic year, to each Beacon Partner University. Qualified candidates must be nominated by their current School Head, and once they have an offer of admission, will be invited to apply for a Beacon Scholarship for University.
These qualified candidates are then evaluated by the Beacon Equity Trust for evidence of academic ability, leadership potential, being a ‘Change-maker’, and financial need.
Application Deadline: 28th February 2020
Eligible Countries: For undergraduate candidates from Kenya, Uganda, and Tanzania to UK Beacon Partner Universities .
To be Taken at (Country): UK
Eligibility: Factors to be taken into account include:
- Capacity to study independently overseas (which necessarily involves consideration of the applicant’s competence in English)
- The applicant must be a national of, and ordinarily resident in Kenya, Tanzania or Uganda
- Financial need – see below
- The likely contribution of the candidate to other areas of university life
- Commitment to return to their home country within one month of degree completion and thereafter remain in their home country for at least two full years (unless otherwise agreed in writing with the Beacon Equity Trust)
- Commitment to make a contribution to the development of their home country
- PLEASE NOTE: a Nomination is not a full application. Once a Nomination Form is received for a candidate there will be a review of their suitability for a Beacon Scholarship for University. If they are deemed to be suitable, candidates will then be invited to complete a full Application Form.
Selection Criteria: Applications are then evaluated by the Beacon Equity Trust for evidence of leadership potential using the following criteria:
(a) Academic Excellence
- Applicants must obtain an offer of a place in at least one university participating in The Beacon Scholarship for University programme. Grade requirements for entry into Beacon Partner Universities are high, and vary by course. Successful university entry is contingent on obtaining the required grades in the university offer. As a general guide, predicted or actual grades should be the minimum required for a candidate’s chosen course of study at their first choice university.
(b) Achievement in Sport, Music or Drama
An applicant must demonstrate that they are more than just an active participant in sport, music or drama, with some formal level of proficiency or accreditation.
(c) Social Influence and Communication
The applicant must have held a position of responsibility in their school, or failing that provide some evidence of confidence amongst peers. They will be expected to undergo an interview which will give an indication of their aptitude and personality traits, and to participate in practical assessment exercises to establish their ability to form and develop relationships among peers.
An applicant must show through examples that they have helped those less fortunate than themselves, or have done work in the community, and are seen as role models. Unselfishness, kindness and concern for others are key criteria for The Beacon Scholarship and Scholars will be required to show continuing evidence of their efforts in these areas.
Applicants will also need to demonstrate, with examples, that they are a ‘Change-maker’, i.e. that:
They have the capacity to ‘take people with them’ and
They are already making a difference now, not at some future point in time.
Value of Award: Parents/Guardians/Sponsors must be committed both financially and educationally for their child to complete an undergraduate degree as a Beacon Scholar.
The Beacon Scholarship is aimed at Parents/Guardians/Sponsors who can demonstrate financial need but are able to fund at least one third of the total cost of tuition, maintenance and one return economy airfare from their home country for a Beacon Scholar.
The Parent/Guardian/Sponsor share is expected to be in the region of £12-15k (US$15-20k) a year. Families unable to fund their annual one-third share of total costs should not apply. Please research fee levels and maintenance costs of specific courses at Beacon Partner Universities.